Saturday, August 24, 2019

DuBarry 2451B

I love finding a pattern that I like, that is approximately my size. And making it up? Bliss!!

This pattern is a 42 bust, which means - theoretically - the arm holes and neck and shoulders should fit me. And they did.
I added a wedge of width to the center back: 2" at the waist and 0" at the neck.
I added 2" all the way down the center back of the skirt, and added a bit to the hips of the side back skirt pieces.
No length alterations, and I turned up the 3" hem called for in the pattern.
I had originally added 1" to the length of the bodice, but undid that on the pink flamingo dress.

Now the sleeves, there is a tale. From having made a DuBarry pair of 1940 PJs, I knew that DuBarry sleeves are very very skinny. I added 4 1/2 " to the bicep of the sleeve, while leaving the armscye untouched.  And it worked! I do not particularly care for my fat arms, but this pleated sleeve is so charming I could not resist.






For even more fun, I sewed this entirely on my new-to-me vintage Singer sewing machine. A 1948 15-31. It has the best topstitching!





Trusty automatic buttonholer attachment

Grandma's buttonhole scissors

Walmart buttons on clearance!

Yes, I have not done up all the buttons: needed to move the waist over a bit.


No comments:

Post a Comment